A couple weeks ago I was trying to figure out what to do with all the chicken I bought at Publix (It was BOGO). So, of course I was scrolling through Pinterest and happened upon this “Honey Sriracha Sesame Chicken” recipe by the Recipe Runner. I thought this recipe would be perfect to try out. I like to make at least one new dish a week, had all the ingredients, and Mark and I love Asian dishes.
This dish was SO quick and easy! I would definitely give it a try if you want to impress someone with your cooking. I began by cutting the chicken into cubes and tossing it in a bag with salt, pepper, and cornstarch. I then began cooking the oil in a frying pan with some oil (I do not own a wok) while I made the Honey Sriracha sauce in a separate bowl.
Once the chicken was browned on each side, I added the sauce along with a mixture of water and cornstarch and let it marinate. The original recipe calls for the chicken over white rice, I however had made rice earlier in the day and let it refrigerate for a couple hours to use it for vegetable fried rice. At this point I added a stir fry mixture and the cold rice with extra (low sodium) soy sauce. Let this all cook and simmer together, take off the stove, add sesame seeds and you have your dish all from one pan!
You can go to Recipe Runner’s page for the original recipe with pictures (link above) and I added it below as well.
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3 teaspoons flavorless oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, use more if you like it really spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons of water
- White rice, brown rice, or quinoa for serving
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling on top of the chicken
- Add the cup up chicken breasts, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to a freezer bag, seal the bag and shake it until all of the chicken is coated in the cornstarch.
- In glass measuring cup or bowl whisk together all of the sauce ingredients except the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and water until the cornstarch dissolves and the mixture is smooth.
- Heat a large wok or non stick skillet on high heat with the oil.
- When the wok is hot swirl the oil around then add in the chicken.
- Spread the chicken out in a single layer and let it brown for a couple minutes on one side.
- Using a wooden spoon toss the chicken around in the wok until it is fully cooked.
- Pour in the honey sriracha sauce into the wok and toss the chicken in the sauce until it is coated.
- Add in the cornstarch and water mixture and stir everything together until the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the chicken on top of rice or quinoa and top with sesame seeds.